1. Home
Jon VanZile

Growing Liriope Indoors

By February 28, 2013

When I hear the word "liriope," I can't help but think "poor liriope." It's a generally ignored plant outdoors,where people usually think of them as a good option to show off their more flashy plants. But the lowly liriope has plenty of charms on its own, not least of all that it's incredibly tough and can even survive indoors quite well.

Comments

March 11, 2013 at 6:55 pm
(1) prem says:

Could we have pictures of the plants you talk about. Never heard of liriope.Perhaps I know it by another name.I love reading your posts,but having to go check on the net …….Am I being too lazy or do others also feel it would be nice to see what we are reading about?

March 11, 2013 at 8:04 pm
(2) EN says:

Prem: I think it is a reasonable request. I often look up a plant on other sites, too, but it is nice to see a picture of topic of the article.

So, I agree with you.

March 12, 2013 at 2:35 pm
(3) Shirleygail says:

Liriope is commonly called ‘Lily Turf’. It sort of looks like a grass. It is susceptible to scale indoors. I think pictures of the plant under discussion would be a nice gesture. As Jon is initiating the discussion, I think attaching a picture would be more informative and create more opportunities for discussion. Daniel, yes Google is useful, but many pictures come up under the same heading, so for a neophyte it might be difficult for them to discern which picture is exactly the plant Jon is talking about. sgh

March 12, 2013 at 2:40 pm
(4) Shirleygail says:

Jon, Where is the rest of the article. What about indoor care as opposed to exterior? I’m very new to this, so am probably not understand the what or where to click to get the rest of your comment? Or is this what you do, simply write a couple of sentences and leave the rest open for discussion?

Indoors, Liriope is a good performer in low light. It is susceptible to mealy bug, mites and scale; ongoing inspections mandatory. They like to be watered thoroughly, then allowed to dry down (but not to bone, dusty dry) before watering thoroughly again.

I used them as an underplant in the lobby of an office tower and ultimately pulled them because of scale. My associate has a display in her home in very low light and by their fireplace. Hers rocks!!

Hope helpful,
sgh

March 12, 2013 at 3:56 pm
(5) Jon says:

Shirleygail,

Thanks for dropping by. I agree that Liriope is good for low-light conditions. Overall, they’re a tough plant. This article is just a little blog entry to “tease” the actual article. Click on the blue link in the blog entry and it should take you to the main article. Hope that helps.

March 12, 2013 at 3:57 pm
(6) Jon says:

And sorry about the lack of a picture on this post! It’s a rather old post, actually, and I should have included a pic with it. I’ll be more on top of that in the future!

March 12, 2013 at 4:39 pm
(7) Shirleygail says:

Cool! I clicked and read the rest of the article. I knew the problem was between my chair and my keyboard; just couldn’t figure it out…heck, I’m a Plantscaper, not a computer person at all!! Thanks for the tip.

By the bye, brown tips can signify over or underwatering & lack of humidity. To make misting truly useful, it would have to be done 3, 4 times daily to have any real effect indoor. To raise humidity, best to sit plant on a pallet of stones on water (not in water!). This is only feasible in a residential environment. I really didn’t think they were the best plant for a commercial interior. I won’t go to them as my first choice for underplant any time soon. sgh

March 19, 2013 at 8:26 am
(8) rampar says:

A picture is worth a thousand words and “Brevity is the spice of life”
If it is not too much trouble, let’s have a picture , if possible.

March 25, 2013 at 9:44 pm
(9) Dianne says:

Otherwise known as……MONKEY GRASS!

March 26, 2013 at 6:02 am
(10) Sue says:

In the south Liriope is called “Monkey Grass”. I have no idea why. I use short Liriope as a border/edge for all my islands and walk ways. This is a very tough perennial that is dark green year round.

March 26, 2013 at 8:16 am
(11) Mike Thurgood says:

Wrt Liriope or whatever plant is being deal with, it would certainly be a nice gesture to include a pic of the relevant plant. After all, this is intended to be an info site, not one for magicians to hunt around for answers!

Certainly I can Google or look up my plant books – many thanks for the poster’s suggestion! – but that idea, of course, would only be raised by insensitive people who don’t have the responsibility to prepare the articles. And not to expect reactions from those of us who take the trouble to read them.

Apologies to our moderator. (The moderator of JapanToday most certainly brings posters to order, very quickly!).

April 3, 2013 at 7:04 pm
(12) Brenda says:

thats the fun of looking up new plants,to see what type they are!!!