1. Home
Jon VanZile

Leaf-tip burn

By March 1, 2011

This is one of the more annoying problems I run across: leaf-tip burn. Some plants seem especially susceptible to it, including the spider plants I like so much and anything with longer leaves. There are a number of conditions that cause leaf-tip burn, including using tainted water, overfeeding, and erratic watering habits. In my case, I suspect it's usually caused by my city's tap water (because of course, my watering and feeding habits are impeccable!). Nevertheless, it's annoying because it's cosmetic, and if I ask one thing out of houseplants, it's this: look good. Okay, actually, the first thing I'd ask is, "Don't die." Then it's look good. But still ... it's up there. [Edit: If you're looking for solutions, click here.]

Comments

March 7, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(1) Kerry says:

I love this post. I’m in complete agreement with the ‘don’t die, look good,’ analysis.

March 7, 2011 at 10:36 pm
(2) Louise says:

I name my plants after those who have given them to me. No leaf burn, happy plants! ;o)

March 7, 2011 at 10:48 pm
(3) Patricia says:

Where the hell’s the rest of this article? I hit Next and the next page looked unfinished with only the PREVIOUS button available! Was the information only to immediately transplant gift plants? The article should make the tip/point of it prominent!! The end of the article should be recognizable!

March 7, 2011 at 11:07 pm
(4) Marianne says:

So — how do you help this situation??? I have a Peace Lily that looks gorgeous 1 day out of the month … then comes the leaf burn … I water and fertilize weekly … gave it a name … talk to it … ahhh, but to no avail … still have leaf burn!!! Now what???

March 8, 2011 at 12:25 am
(5) Marilyn says:

I have the problem of leaf-tip burn on several plants,but only in the winter…..When Spring gets here I move all my house plants outside…Do not put them in direct Sunlight…I have a Patio I keep them on. There are some plants you can’t put outside such as violets and etc….My Spider Plant and plants that can take the outdoors I move out….I NEVER have leaf-tip burn when they are outside…If we have a soft shower i sit them out to get the rain water..Bring them in when the temp. starts to drop,be sure to Spray the leaves with a little liquid dish soap mixed with water…small amt of soap and lots of water..I have found an other interesting suggestion,,,,I have always had trouble keeping Poinsettas nice after Christmas,so one year I decided to put them outside and see what happened and WOW THEY GREW INTO A BEAUTIFUL BUSH…The leaves were not red but a nice shade of green… Before the temp starts to drop about 1st Oct dig them up put in pot and cover with a large Christmas Tree Bag and put them in a dark Closet or some other dark place..Leave untill Thanksgiving or 1st dec Unwrap and set in Bright light…By Christmas they should start to turn red,

March 8, 2011 at 3:40 am
(6) delene says:

MY PEACH LILY ONLY GETS FERTILIZER. ONCE A MONTH, THEY DONT LIKE A DRAFT AND KEEP THEM FROM TOUCHING THE WALL OR ANYTHING. NO SUN ON IT.

March 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm
(7) yonnie says:

i agree w/wat do i do about the leaf tip burn problem??? my spider plants hav this constantly after the get so big…not the small ones tho.,,so how can it b the city water? HELP!

March 14, 2011 at 9:19 pm
(8) Erin says:

Salt is a leading cause of leaf tip burn. If you water your plants with water from a water softener, there’s your likely culprit. Switch to distilled. It’s a pain to lug home, but you will have happier plants.

BTW, what do you name the plants that you buy for yourself?

March 15, 2011 at 8:28 am
(9) Estelle says:

I have noticed my bamboo plant leaves are turning br on tip end…I simply hate that..makes me mad..do I just leave them, as is…or can I clip the tips off…I did move it from kitchen window to another spot..no drafts..but some light…I do use rain water, yr round on all my plants, and I do have lots of cactus and orchids…hate my bamboo looks like that..